Thursday, May 23, 2013

These past two weeks in new album releases

Wow, it has been an amazing May for new albums! Let's just say, my iTunes bill is not going to be pretty! I'm talking about the new albums from Vampire Weekend, The National, and Daft Punk!!!! All are very different from each other but all are amazing in their own way.


Let's start with "Modern Vampires of the City," Vampire Weekend's new album. I read somewhere that the album touches on the subjects of aging, faith and companionship. There's no way I could come up with that myself, I was never great at understanding poetry... Anyway, I definitely hear the topic of aging a lot in their songs like "Diane Young" and "Don't Lie" because Diane Young is really saying "dying young" and the Don't Lie lyrics say "Don't lie, I want 'em to know, God's love die young, are you ready to go?" But other than that, I'm going with the experts when they say it's about companionship! Other songs from the album to check out from the preppy indie rock band are: "Step," "Ya Hey," and "Unbelievers."


Out this past Monday was The National's "Trouble Will Find Me," which proves to be another fantastic album from the Brooklyn band. I love this band because I will hear a song, on TV or the radio, and know that this is a song from The National. Frontman, Matt Berninger, has such a distinctive voice. The guys were on Sirius XMU this past week, discussing the new album. One story I wanted to share is how on the first day they sat down to start writing this album, the hurricane struck New York City and all of the power went out for days. The first song they wrote, under those circumstances, was "Fireproof," one of my favorites from this album. I don't know if I just enjoy their sadder, dark songs or something but I love it! It sounds like a song you would listen to on a dark, rainy day. If you don't enjoy the dark songs as much as I do, definitely check out "Don't Swallow the Cap". This was the first single they released from the album. It's probably my favorite. Also listen to: "Sea of Love," "I Need My Girl," "Graceless."


Lastly, we have "Random Access Memories" from Daft Punk. The French duo has done it again with their electronic disco sound. I think my favorite songs are the ones collaborated with other artists like Pharrell Williams, Panda Bear and Julian Casablancas. Thomas and Guy-Manuel hooked up with Giorgio Moroder in the song "Giorgio by Moroder" bringing Giorgio's music career back to life! Giorgio was huge in the 70's and 80's. He worked with Donna Summer, Blondie, and David Bowie. Some call him the father of disco, which is obviously why a group like Daft Punk would want to work with him. He was out of the game for a while, but this new track has his phone ringing nonstop. You can read more about his history here.

By far my favorite was the single that was previously released, "Get Lucky (Feat. Pharrell Williams)." I could dance to that song ALL DAY. The end of the album is interesting, it has the voice of what sounds like an astronaut, looking out into space saying "there's something out there." I was wondering if this was on the TRON Album too... but it has a cool sound, like a Ghostland Observatory song. More songs from the album to check out are: "Give Life Back to Music," "Doin' Right (feat. Panda Bear)," "Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas)."


I'm sure you already knew about these albums, but they ARE "What I'm Listening To" right now ;).





No comments:

Post a Comment