Wednesday, July 24, 2013

ACL 2013 Schedule Release!!

Today is a big day for ACL-festival-goers; the official schedule for both weekends was released! I'm pretty excited because while there are some conflicts (always unavoidable), so many of these bands have played ACL in the recent past that it makes it a little bit easier to choose. 

My problem is with the bands playing at 11:15 a.m. that I really want to see. It is almost impossible to make it to their shows unless you don't have any alcohol at the festival and have the energy of a cheetah, or you get your fair share of caffeine. So it looks like I will be missing Wild Nothing, Parquet Courts, and Bear Mountain for sure. 


Looking at the Friday schedule really makes me want to take that whole day off of work! But that's probably not an option....I'm looking forward mostly to Thao & the Get Down Stay Down, their song "Holy Roller" is pretty great, Smith Westerns, and maybe Local Natives (saw them in 2011). In the fight over Wild Belle vs. Vampire Weekend, I would have to go with Wild Belle because I saw Vampire Weekend a few years ago and also I'm already sick of their new album being overplayed. There's also Arctic Monkeys whom I have never seen live but I'm still a little more pumped for Wild Belle.

Purity Ring vs. Kaskade?? The winner is Purity Ring. I'm sorry, but I'm not missing Purity Ring playing "Fireshrine" for another "cool lights show." 

Then I will be ending the night with MUSE. They have come to ACL year after year and I have missed them every time and have regretted it almost every time. I won't make that mistake again. I hear they put on one hell of a show.


This brings us to Saturday, bright and early right??? Getting there to see Parquet Courts at 11:15, right? Hear them play "Stoned and Starving," right??? Wrong. I know myself, and sleep is more important. I will probably miss MONA at 12:15 as well, but I will be kicking myself if I miss Autre Ne Veut!!! I am obsessed with their album "Anxiety" and they have a new one on the way! 

Next door to Autre Ne Veut is HAIM playing at 2. I am STOKED for this awesome girl band! I've been playing "Falling" on repeat pretty much and I would love to hear them play their cover of the Strokes song "I'll Try Anything Once". It's amazing. Then back over to the Honda stage is Junip. This is going to be show you can't miss! I'm really excited to see them. 


Emily and I with Portugal. The Man

I saw Portugal. The Man last year at Free Press Summer Fest (even got to meet some of the band members after) and it was a good show! I'm definitely down to see this one again!

Grimes vs. The Joy Formidable?? GRIMES all the way!!! She looks like she's about 12 but she is very talented! Can't skip out on that one! After that I have two conflicts: Passion Pit vs. Wilco and The Cure vs. Kings of Leon. 


I saw Passion Pit back in 2010 and they were really good but I heard that they were really messed up and blew their set at ACL the previous year.... might need to see Wilco instead? I'm willing to let my friends decided where to go on that. And The Cure?? I love The Cure! How could I skip this show??? I will tell you why. Stevie Wonder. Trying to see Stevie Wonder two years ago was the most ridiculous experience. I could not get anywhere near listening distance with all the people staked out in their lawn chairs. So, Kings of Leon might be the winner. I still have never seen this band, and I do still love their older albums! We shall see.

Sunday Funday. Bear Mountain at 11:15? Meh, probably not. Foxygen at noon? Oh heck yes! I will not let myself miss this band! Seriously. The Mowgli's at 1 is a good filler to Dawes at 2. Then I will probably hit up some Grouplove after Dawes at 3 (luckily all of these are right next to each other). 

In the dilemma of Franz Ferdinand vs. Divine Fits, Divine Fits wins it every time! I am loving this collaboration!! And, Britt Daniel of Spoon is from Austin! C'mon, gotta support! 

via The National Facebook


Next, drum-roll please, THE NATIONAL AT 5:30!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! This is whom I am the most excited to see. I will do every thing possible to make it to this show. Sorry Toro y Moi, but I am going to have to miss your show again.

After The National's amazingness is Tame Impala whom I will probably check out over Phosphorescent. Not that I don't love Phosphorescent, but I love every song by Tame Impala. 



Last but not least, Atoms for Peace or Phoenix?? PHOENIX. Still haven't made it to a Phoenix show and I will make it to this one and catch the end of Atoms for Peace (or probably go home, let's be real). 





So that's it! I hope my personal schedule has pumped you up for ACL Twenty-Thirteen! I will say, I was a little disappointed with the lineup at first, but I think every day has a lot of great bands to offer! 

See you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment