Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top 40 Songs of 2013


This is one of my favorite times of the year -- when we look back and decide what music was the most memorable (or possibly just over-played) to develop a "Best of" list. I've looked at what some of the other sites have had to say, simply serving as a reminder because I disagree with most sites.

I've based my list of my personal taste in music, purposefully leaving "Blurred Lines" and "Royals" off of my best of 2013 list. While those songs are memorable, and they will probably be played on Classic Pop stations in 20+ years, I don't like them, and they're not on my list. Simple as that.

I hope you enjoy the music! I "narrowed" it down to a Top 40 and tried to place them in order but they're all wonderful. See the list below or listen on my Spotify Playlist.





  1. Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams - "Get Lucky" -- SONG OF THE YEAR
  2. Haim - "The Wire"  -- pretty much the entire "Days Are Gone" album was amazing and deserves to be on my list. BREAK OUT ARTIST OF THE YEAR
  3. Arcade Fire - "Reflektor" and "Afterlife" -- I was really happy with this entire album
  4. The National - "Sea of Love" -- I am still obsessed with this album
  5. CHVRCHES - "We Sink" 
  6. Phoenix - "Trying to Be Cool" - Another great album
  7. Palma Violets - "Best of Friends" and "We Found Love"
  8. Local Natives - "Heavy Feet"  -- Great album
  9. Phosphorescent - "Song for Zula"
  10. Pure Bathing Culture - "Pendulum" -- My favorite new artist I learned about this year
  11. Charli XCX - "Nuclear Season" 
  12. Haerts - "Wings"
  13. Young Galaxy - "New Summer"
  14. Small Black - "Sophie"
  15. St. Lucia - "Elevate" and "Closer Than This"
  16. Terraplane Sun - "Gets Me Golden"
  17. TV On The Radio - "Mercy"
  18. Kopecky Family Band - "Heartbeat"
  19. Deerhunter - "Back to the Middle"
  20. Kurt Vile - "Wakin on a Pretty Day"
  21. White Denim - "Pretty Green"
  22. Arctic Monkeys - "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?"
  23. Cut Copy - "Free Your Mind"
  24. The Oh Sees - "Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster"
  25. NONONO - "Pumpin Blood"
  26. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - "If You Didn't See Me [Then You Weren't On The Dancefloor]"
  27. Washed Out - "It Feels All Right"
  28. Robert DeLong - "Just Movement"
  29. Portugal. The Man - "Purple Yellow Red and Blue"
  30. I Break Horse - "Denial"
  31. The Naked and Famous - "Hearts Like Ours"
  32. The Head and the Heart - "Shake"
  33. Toro y Moi - "Say That"
  34. Fitz and the Tantrums - "The Walker"
  35. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Sacrilege"
  36. Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks - "Lariat"
  37. Max Frost - "White Lies"
  38. Best Coast - "I Don't Know How"
  39. Cults - "High Road"
  40. Rhye - "Open"




Honorable Mention:

Parquet Courts - "Stoned and Starving"
Eleanor Friedberger - "Stare at the Sun"
Justin Timberlake - "Mirrors" -- let's face it, he's amazing
Mikal Cronin - "Weight"
Chromatics - "Cherry"
Classixx - "All You're Waiting For - feat. Nancy Whang"
Volcano Choir - "Byegone"
Sleigh Bells - "Bitter Rivals"
The Knife - "Full of Fire"
Kings of Leon - "Wait for Me"
San Fermin - "Sonsick"

No comments:

Post a Comment